6.19.2013

Kalacha - An Introduction

There is so much to say, and so little Internet time left for the day. I'll be brief.
Kalacha, Kenya. It's beautiful, a struggle, and SUCH an adventure, more so than even I thought. Those mental images I had of red sand, stiff dry heat, huts woven together with colourful fabric, and billowing skirts are all accurate, with, obviously, much more depth, reality, and beauty added. That, and a LOT of wind.

The stars are crystal clear, and when the sun begins to set, the shades of red and green turn to blue and grey, while a warm line of lingering light on the horizon turns the acacia trees to silhouettes.

The first day here on Friday was long and exhausting, but after some sleep and prayer, things improved. I'm becoming steadily more excited to be here (the growth is exponential, in fact!) Yesterday, I gave my first health education talk at the Polytechnic School (like a trade school for older boys and girls). The notice was pretty short however - I only found out one day in advance, and had to prepare a two-hour talk for teenagers on STIs, HIV/AIDS, nutrition, drug/alcohol abuse, and female circumcision. Talk about jumping in with both feet! Praise God, it went better than expected. From now on, I'll be teaching health education at the Kalacha Primary School (mostly boys) for standards (grades) 7 and 8, and at the Nomadic Girls' Primary School, for standards 6, 7, and 8. Nobody seems to be teaching health education on a regular basis at either school, so I have the pleasure (or excellent life skills building experience at least!) of creating my own curriculum.
First day of teaching! 

4 comments:

  1. Female circumcision is a sad thing. I'm happy to hear things went well, and I'm sure it will only get better. Your description of the landscape reminds me of The Horse and His Boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's crazy how it causes so many problems and so much pain, and is yet so widely practiced. Oh my goodness yes, it totally is reminiscent of that! I really wish I had access to The Chronicles of Narnia here. I'll try to walk around and imagine some scenes haha.

      Delete
  2. Knowledge is a sacred cow, and my problem will be how we can milk her while keeping clear of her horns.

    ~Albert Szent-Györgyi, "Teaching and Expanding Knowledge," Science, 4 December 1964

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading (and rereading) through your blog posts makes me miss you! Praying for you lots, friend!

    ReplyDelete